What Interviewers Are Looking For
The interviewer is looking to satisfy 5 key requirements:
- Do you have the relevant skills and experience to do the job?
- Do you fit the company profile/culture?
- Will you compliment or disrupt the department?
- Is the salary/package right?
- Can you, by joining the company, help the interviewer to be more successful in their job?
Although you may tick all the boxes for the interviewer, there may be other individuals in the interview process who also fill all the criteria. The interviewer will be looking for many personal qualities, including;
- Drive - you are goal-orientated and want to get things done.
- Motivation - you are enthusiastic in your role, willing to ask questions, take initiative and relish challenges.
- Communication - effective speech and written skills.
- Energy - you will work hard and give that little bit extra.
- Determination - you do not give up when things get tough, and will see the job through.
- Confidence - you are friendly, honest and open.
- Reliability - you are able to get the job done and on time.
- Honesty and integrity - you take responsibility for your actions and make decisions in the best interest of the company.
- Dedication - you do whatever it takes to see a project through to completion.
- Analytical skills - you can weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.
- Listening skills - you listen to those around you, and respond appropriately.
- Profitability - you can make the company money through your contribution.
All of these personal attributes should always be backed up with relevant work examples to contextualize your skills.